Powered By Blogger

Saturday 13 June 2015

Bren Gun Carrier and 6pdr Anti Tank Gun

Hello everyone! Today I will be reviewing the Airfix Bren Gun carrier and 6pdr Anti Tank Gun. The proper name for the Bren Gun Carrier was the Universal Carrier but was nick-named this because of the light armament on the front. It was a versatile vehicle with 113,000 made by 1960 and being used as things from personnel carriers to towing guns. I have also found out (on Wikipedia, so if I'm wrong please tell me in the comments) that it is the most produced armoured vehicle in military history. After researching the 6pdr Gun I have found its most likely the Ordenance qf 6 pounder 7 Cwt. It was a 57mm gun used mainly by the British in the middle of the war and had a range of 1,650 yards or 1,510 meters. 
This is a Airfix 1:76 scale kit costing £5.99 on the Airfix website.
I'm not sure how old this kit is, but from the instructions it looks pretty old. You might also know that when you buy a small Airfix Kit like the 1:76 Landrover (which I'll be reviewing when it's finished), the instructions look old and they normally mean that you build half the kit and you're still on step one. However they were still easy enough to understand.
The detail is not very high though, the Bren Gun Carrier has enough detail but still lacks it to make it stand out. The people have little detail as well and dry brushing was needed to really make the figures look good. It doesn't help that the quality of the plastic is not brilliant, and it's probably a rare occasion but mine warped a bit. One thing I was pleased about was that the tracks came as a solid plastic instead of the dreaded rubber tracks. It would have been impossible for Airfix to make rubber tracks that small, but I liked it anyway (even if it's a pain to get it out of the sprue).
The kit I bought had a figure that needed some cutting up as the bomb he was holding had merged into his knee, this was obviously a fault in the moulding. The kit comes with four figures, two loading the gun, one standing and another driving.
The awkward thing with this kit is the scale though. Unless you can find some 1:76 scale figures or put it just with 1:76 vehicles then this is a stand alone kit.
With that said it's still a good kit to just have on the side as it's a very easy build.
As you can see in the photos I have turned mine into a diorama, using a offcut of Mdf and some modelling grass.
All I do is spread some glue over the bits where I want grass with some paper. I then sprinkle grass over it. The bare Mdf resembles dry dirt, it's possible to spray it but the overall effect looks bad.
Thanks for reading my blog! You can subscribe by email and through blogger on the top left to read my reviews first. Please comment below!



No comments:

Post a Comment